Plushie builds off of Teddy and provides an interface not just to create 3d models but to construct a simulated plush toy. From this simulation the system is able to generate patterns and instructions for assembling the plush toy in real life. Editing can either be performed using techniques of Teddy on the 3d representation, or directly on the 2d construction pattern. While editing, the 3d representation also runs a "plushie" simulation that gives an accurate representation of what the final shape will look like .
Discussion
I did not think I would see anything more brilliant than teddy but this is an amazing combination of natural interaction and physical modeling all working together to simplify an inherently difficult problem. Even professional balloon designers, who were interviewed as part of the user study process for Plushie, felt that the software could help them decrease design time for new balloons.
And don't forget that little kids also loved it. I wonder if any of the professional balloon designers were also kids... I think a Venn Diagram could have been perfect for that measure.
ReplyDelete